Thursday, May 5, 2011

Omelet Mess

Any Omelet This Big Has To Be Called An Omelet Mess

Find Printable Recipe Here

Omelet Mess - the omelet so big it threated to seize
control of the kitchen! So I ate it.
First off, let me get right to it. Omelet should be spelled with 2 “Ts” and 3 “Es”. It should look like Omelette. I’m just sayin’.

Now…second thing I’m gonna say? If more omelets looked like this picture, more people would be dreamin’ about their last big omelet in the same way we dream of other comfort food – oh say, chicken n’ dumplings for instance. But they don’t and we can’t.




Omelets Are Comfort Food.
But why not? Why not just pull up a big old steamin’ plate of omelet  the next time you feel hungry? You know omelets aren’t just for breakfast or brunch anymore?

Omelets taste great any time of the day or night! In fact, I have been up since 4:30am this morning. Don’t. Ask. OK? Just don’t ask. And I finally got around to being famously famished around 1:30pm and made a beeline for the ice box (for those of you new to the party an ice box is Southernese for refrigerator).

Unfortunately the ice box is bare. Well I say it’s bare. It really isn't. It's just bare of greasy, yummy, cheesy, comforty kinda stuff. Our ice box actually houses an impressive collection of condiments. That only leaves about one shelf out of 4 left for actual food. Oh yeah, and the veggie drawers have veggies in them of course…same thing with the cheese drawer.

But the point is…I didn’t think anything exciting lurked in the ice box today, just waitin’ to make its way to my lunch plate. I felt a little sad. No comfort food? Wind up the "waaaaahhhhhh-mbulance" cuz I feel a whine comin' on!

But wait! I was wrong.

Heart pounding a little now. A quick scout unearthed a failed science experiment lurking at the back of shelf two. It must have had quite the party in its day, cuz it looked like a total train wreck when I found it. So I threw the failed science experiment away and continued in my increasingly animated search for incredible edibles. 

Round-up Any Strays! We're Goin' In Boys!

Photo courtesy of Choda
 I knew we had leftover Swiss Chard (quite yummy I must add) from the other night. And we always have a slew of veggies. Yep, still have a good stash of eggs and a bonus baby - a little piece of goat cheese nearing the end of its sell-by date.












So immediately I knew. Hey, omelette! (See? I told you it should be spelled with 2Ts and 3Es!) Not just any omelet but, The Mess.

Of course, my Omelet Mess!

Come to me my beauty!
(I call it a mess, because anything that big and sprawling can only have one, very obvious title. And since it's made up from bits and pieces layin' here and there in the ice box...it's a mess!)

But since there was only a little of the chard left (don’t forget to eat the stems of these babies), I opted for my secret stash of frozen spinach to add volume.

Frozen Spinach MVP and DH To The Rescue
Frozen spinach is my pinch hit player I keep on the bench whenever a dish needs a handful thrown in for great fiber, a sturdy hit of Vitamins A, C, E and K along with a good measure of magnesium and potassium for very few carbs or calories. (It doesn't look like this picture when it comes out of the freezer, but shore eats good.)






Pair spinach up with its friends the not-so-magic-mushroom, onion, garlic and thyme, and suddenly things start to look a little exciting!



Fifteen minutes later, I have enough for two.

Seriously. Add one more egg and you have a complete meal for two. But since I’m being a piggy today, I sat down and ate the whole derned thing.

I don’t feel one bit guilty. Full? Oh yeah....Guilt? Nahhh. I will still get in for under 1500 calories today and hit my carb level with ease.


The Boys Don't Think Highly of The MVP


Click to enlarge. The Boys watching NASCAR with Denny.
Oh and btw, the boys don’t think spinach is a lunch food either. Hmmmph. Whadda they know? For all the new folks (Howdy! BTW!!) These are our boys: Buddy, Schilling, Tony, Kevin, their little dog Wee Wee, and Wee Wee's sock monkey baby, Skeeter. Say, "Hi!"











Find Printable Recipe Here

Omelet Mess
Serves – 1 to 2
Difficulty – Nope but ya gotta break a couple of eggs to make a mess.
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cook Time – 10 minutes


Ingredients:

The Omelet Mess tastes great with Sambal Oelek!
3 Eggs, beaten
3 Large Mushrooms, sliced
¼ small Onion, slivered
¼c Red Bell Pepper
4 cloves Garlic, sliced

2 Pinches Thyme, dried
Any leftover veg on hand. (I used Swiss Chard – recipe coming soon)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1oz Goat Cheese
1oz Part Skim Mozzarella
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Sambal Oelek (optional)


Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in non-stick skillet. Add slivered garlic, onion, mushroom and red bell pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are browned and veggies are crisp tender.

Add frozen spinach and leftover Swiss chard and heat until cooked through and water evaporates out.
Remove veggies from pan and add remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat up. Add beaten eggs to pan and stir to make fluffy omelet. When middle is set, add cheeses and veggies.

Invert omelet onto a plate and serve immediately. Sambal Oelek works great with this dish as a spicy condiment kick!


SusieT’s Notes:Four forks! Definitely. Four Forks.

Forget bread. Forget sandwiches. Forget anything you want but don’t forget to make this omelet please? It works great: breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s cheap. It’s quick. It packs a whole day of Vitamin C and A along with other vitamins and minerals. And it will keep your colon clean with all the magnesium rushing through it! It’s a nutrient brick house.



Click To Enlarge Image










Nutritional Information




















Find Printable Recipe Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Comments keep us going! Leave your thoughts, please? XOXO!