Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Of Low Carb Breakfast Tacos and Psylli Wraps

Do you think a low carb, keto-approved and gluten free tortilla or wrap is a myth or worse, an oxymoron? Well, Susie T. and Fluffy Chix Cook can show you that low carb, gluten free, keto wraps ARE possible and more, taste awesome! Convenience and flavor-together again. Yippee!

(Apologies in advance--this is going to be one of Fluffy Chix Cook's long-winded posts in praise of a dear friend's Psylli Wrap, a near-perfect and dead-easy low carb tortilla and wrap alternative that is a must-have in your rotation. There are two recipes in this post: one for an amazing Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taco and the other is for my tweaked version of DocP's Psylli Wrap. So be patient. Get a cup of coffee, and come right back now, ya here? Set a spell!)



WE INTERRUPT THIS POST TO BRING YOU EXCITING FLUFFY CHIX COOK NEWS!
Fluffy Chix is excited to tell you we have a new nest! This blog has now become Fluffy Chix Cook's Recipe Archives, but new posts and recipes will continue on our own domain. Hallelujah and pass the low carb tortillas! Click on this Fluffy Chix Cook link to be transported through the magic of the internet to our new nest! (But please continue reading this recipe-it's one of our most popular in the archives!) See ya soon!


Low Carb Breakfast Taco with Psylli Wrap - revised version
sausage, eggs, cheese, avocado and stir fry.
Most of you know I’m a Texan in word and deed. If you doubt this, then please refer to my sentimental salute to Texas in the post above! ;) So in the spirit of my Texas heritage, it stands to reason that I adore Tex-Mex food (with one exception—this Texan does not eat menudo—and I apologize for that sin of omission). I could eat Tex-Mex every day, 24/7/365. Seriously. And never tire of it. Day before yesterday, I found the meaning of life (as a low carb Texan). I found psyllium husks. “What does that have to do with being a Texan and loving Tex-Mex food,” you ask?



Psylli Wraps - Revised (Recipe Follows)
It won’t come as any surprise, when you scroll down the right side, that there are many recipes for low carb tortillas listed! For 14 years I’ve quested like a Texan Don Quixote, for ingredients and products to make my dream of low carb Tex-Mex reality. I don’t just want to make it reality. I want to make it natural, second-nature, fully ingrained behavior—you know, a lifestyle. And I’m happy to say, after much trial-and-error, I’m livin’ the dream, bayyyybeee! Livin’ the dream!





Can I get a “hayull yeah!” please? (That’s Texan for, “Oh right you are, right, right, very good thought!”

Anyway, I found psyllium husks (and my big girl panties)—and a recipe from my friend, DocP. Her brilliant and super-simple recipe for psylli wraps has been floating around the internet and Low Carb Friends for quite a while. And after a first initial mishap where I used the wrong product, and died from gritty psyllium powder (super ick and put me off my feed for weeks), I got the courage and the correct product (whole psyllium husks!!!!) and made them again and oh my.

The angels sang and Jesus wept. Yes, he did.

Psyllium husks are a wonderful, wonderful thing people. You find them in most grocery stores. (Not the ground kind, the whole husks.) Common brands of psyllium husks found at your grocery store are Now Brand, Jay Robb, Trader Joe’s, Frontier, etc. The psyllium husks are bulk—not in capsules. We buy the 12oz jar of Now Brand psyllium husks and they are blonde. Other off-label brands may make your product purple—which is fine if you like purple food. :D


Low carb, gluten free, low cal Psylli Wraps - Revised
are flexible, yet tough and stand up to wet fillings.
Psyllium husks will revolutionize my low carb tortilla and low carb Tex-Mex quest. I couldn’t resist tweaking her original, simple recipe. I’m Susie T, remember? The revised recipe is listed below. I wanted you to witness (and get the recipe) for the “creature of divine wonder,” that arose as a result of this amazing low carb tortilla recipe! I give you the Breakfast Taco. Huge. Gorgeous. Simple. Filling. And the best part? They're uber-flexible and you can pick them up (even with soggy ingredients) and eat them like a soft taco is meant to be enjoyed.

Hallelujah and pass the gravy!


Okay, but enough about us! What's your favorite breakfast taco or taco filling? How's about sharing your favorite use of tortillas and wraps? Can't wait to hear from you!



Low Carb Breakfast Taco with Sausage and Asian Slaw Mix Variation


Serving Size: 1 Breakfast Taco   Yield: 1 Serving
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Start to Finish: 15 Minutes


Delicious, filling, and if you use the Asian version, a crunchy, fusion wrap that effectively disguises deep nutrition with Tex-Mex flavor and euphoria! Let's walk like a Texan!

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup turkey breakfast sausage crumbles (Jimmy Dean)—or hot pork sausage crumbles, chorizo, or bacon, or “fill-in-your-favorite-blank
  • 1 serving DocP's Psylli Wrap-Revised (recipe follows)
  • 1-2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tsp water
  • 1/2 ounce shredded cheddar cheese—or jalapeno jack cheese
  • 1/8 avocado
  • 2 tablespoons red salsa (Herdez, Casera Medium)—your favorite brand

Variation

  1. Microwave precooked sausage crumbles on high for 30-45 seconds.
  2. Layer tortilla with grated cheese, sausage crumbles and nuke for 10-15 seconds to melt cheese and get tortilla hot.
  3. Spray nonstick skillet with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray and heat over medium high. Add eggs and season with kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Scramble to your desired doneness, stirring often.
  4. Place eggs on tortilla. Finish with avocado and salsa.

Variation: Before cooking egg, combine all ingredients in the nonstick pan. Sauté over medium high to your degree of doneness-about 3-4 minutes, max! Place in tortilla with eggs, and other ingredients. Enjoy.

Nutritional Information:

With 1 Egg: 246 Calories; 16g Fat (55.5% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 244mg Cholesterol; 4g Net Carbohydrate

With 2 Eggs: 320 Calories; 21g Fat (57.1% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 456mg Cholesterol; 4g Net Carbohydrate

Add the stir fried Asian slaw mix to either breakfast taco: 59 Calories; 5g Fat (66.6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3g Net Carbohydrate

Serving Ideas: Serve with your hot coffee. Mexican coffee with a bit of cinnamon is delicious with this taco.

NOTES: We could eat this breakfast taco every day. We had the 2-egg variety with the Asian slaw stir fry (a mixture of chopped kale, cabbage, carrot shreds, snap peas--so good!). It was so filling--filled us up for hours--kept us until dinner time. I love the tweaks to the original Psylli Wrap recipe. You can see DocP's original Psylli Wrap recipe here. Try them, we think you'll love them and make all sorts of things: enchiladas, soft tacos, breakfast tacos, chips, crepes, etc.

02.18.14 Update to DocP's Psylli Wraps-Revised


Serving Size: 1-2 Tortillas      Yield: 8-10 Tortillas
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Start to Finish: 25 Minutes

This is an UPDATE to the spin-off of DocP's Original Psylli Wrap (recipe posted after this one). We wanted to see if we could complicate her great recipe and give it a little more bread-y mouth feel. It's still a quick, easy and super low calorie and low carb tortilla option. Make them ahead and chill until ready to use. If you can make pancakes or crepes, these have your name all over them!

Ingredients

Spice Variations

  1. Use whole psyllium husks (blonde)--we like NOW, Trader Joe's and Jay Robb brands. These are whole husks, not powder. Combine with coconut flour and oat fiber or gluten free oat bran and your favorite spices. Stir to mix.
  2. Add unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the egg whites and beat. Slowly add egg white mixture to dry ingredients, mixing quickly with a spatula to avoid lumps. Keep stirring until everything comes together smoothly--about a minute. Set aside and heat non-stick skillet.
  3. Spray pan with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. Pour 3 tablespoons of batter into a little cup. Pour into the center of the hot pan and tilt/swirl until the batter coats the bottom of the pan and forms a tortilla. Cook until opaque, then gently lift around edges and flip in pan. Cook on 2nd side.
  4. Continue to cook a couple of minutes, flipping back and forth, until tortilla dries out. If the remaining tortilla batter has thickened too much, thin it with more egg whites. (I used up to 1/4 more egg whites, because as the batter sits, it thickens.)

Nutritional Information: 

Per Tortilla (8 out): 17 Calories; trace Fat (2.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1.88g Carbohydrate; 1.13g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.75g Net Carbs

Per Tortilla (9 out):
15 Calories; trace Fat (2.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1.7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.7g Net Carbs

Per Tortilla (10 out): 14 Calories; trace Fat (2.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1.5g Carbohydrate; .9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.6g Net Carbs

Serving Ideas: Serve with your favorite filling.
Notes: We really love these tortillas. Who wouldn't love them at 15 Cals per tortilla and only 0.7g Net Carbs per tortilla? We got 9 out of our recipe, but think we could have stretched it to 10.

 

 

 

(Original Revised Version) DocP's Psylli Wraps-Revised--*see updated recipe above!


Serving Size: 1-2 Tortillas      Yield: 3 Tortillas
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Start to Finish: 15 Minutes

This is a spin-off of DocP's Original Psylli Wrap. We wanted to see if we could complicate her great recipe and give it a little more bread-y mouth feel. It's still a quick, easy and super low calorie and low carb tortilla option. Make them ahead and chill until ready to use. If you can make pancakes or crepes, these have your name all over them!


Ingredients

Spice Variations

  1. Use whole psyllium husks (blonde)--we like NOW, Trader Joe's and Jay Robb brands. These are whole husks, not powder. Combine with coconut flour and oat fiber or gluten free oat bran and your favorite spices. Stir to mix. Slowly add egg whites, mixing quickly with a spatula to avoid lumps. Keep stirring until everything comes together smoothly--about a minute. Set aside and heat non-stick skillet.
  2. Spray pan with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. Pour half of batter into pan and tilt/swirl until the batter coats the bottom of the pan and forms a tortilla. Cook until opaque, then gently lift around edges and flip in pan. Cook on 2nd side.
  3. Continue to cook a couple of minutes, flipping back and forth, until tortilla dries out. If the remaining tortilla batter has thickened too much, thin it with more egg whites or water.

Per Serving: 34 Calories; trace Fat (3.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1g Net Carbohydrate

Serving Ideas: Serve with your favorite filling.

NOTES: The coconut flour and oat fiber or gluten free oat bran add a little more texture to DocP's original Psylli Wraps. The originals are delicious, but you know SusieT. I just can't help myself from twitchin' wings and changing things up! There are many people on LCF (our low carb support forum) who contributed to the development of this recipe. I'm sure somewhere, someone has made these EXACTLY like this recipe, but I didn't go read the original 85 page post to find out, I just decided to "wing it" and these were the result. Very tasty. Totally impervious to wet and soggy ingredients! And an excellent soft taco GDS (guts delivery system). Oh and did I mention, they're only 34 calories and 1g Net Carb? Supah dupah!

Be sure to drink lots of water. Psyllium is a fiber supplement that aids regularity! Also, start slowly, so you can predict how your body handles extra fiber and gradually work your way up. Each tortilla provides a 1/2 tablespoon of psyllium husks and the daily dose of psyllium husks per the jar is 2Tbsp/serving. So you can see, you're well within that daily amount, even if you ate 2-3!

Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.

27 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!!!! The breakfast taco sounds great but what I WILL make tonight is the tortilla!! Can't wait to try this. Hoping Natural Grocers has the cartoned egg whites so I don't have to waste the precious yolks but, if not, some yolks will be sacrificed. Not sure making a curd tonight to use them is in the picture!

    In advance, great work AGAIN, SusieT!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens to Murgatroy, Alice, if you waste those yolks, I come over there and paddle you--and make you pick your own switch--for good measure! Make a glorious low carb creme brulee (cheating on the brulee top with good ingredients, not sugar) with any leftover yolks! Or a low carb, pumpkin breakfast custard. :D

      You know, you and BFG just make my day with your love notes, don't you? Thanks for being a stalwart friend and supporter!! Muah! xoxo!

      Delete
    2. Well I feel shockingly dumb! Murgatroy = Murgatroid! Derf!

      Delete
  2. Well your visit would be most welcome but no need for reprimand!! Found cartoned egg whites, organic even, and bought two cartons! No, I didn't want to toss the beautiful yolks. Do you know how long they keep in the fridge? Didn't know if they'd last until the next evening or not. (I'm able to buy high quality eggs so don't want to waste any!)

    I made the Wraps and am quite impressed! Stayed with the recipe (doubled it, actually), until the last two to which I added some parm, chicken bone broth to thin and spices - just to play and experiment! Worked well.

    Wonder how adding a little pumpkin and spices to the mix would do? Maybe some salsa or jalapeno and a tiny bit of cheddar? The counts on them are so low, there can be room for additions if wanted.

    Love the idea of them and that they barely take up any room in a day's allotment.

    THANK YOU!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Alice!! I swear, no reprimand! I too just hate the idea of wasting any food, especially yolks! :D I was thinking pumpkin, too! But so far have been too lazy to experiment! Let me know if you try it and how it works!!! The great thing about DocP's recipes is she gives a great foundation for experimentation and tweaking and she LOVES it when people tweak and add-on to her recipes! She's super duper! (And Dangit! LOVE that carb count! :D )

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. Snoopy Happy Dance as I look at this wonderful recipe.
    I would have replied sooner, but my computer wouldn't let me publish a comment this weekend. I headed out immediately on Friday for the husks which I found at a great price at my local health food store.
    Can't wait to try this! You rock Susie T! Barefootcookingirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try them yet BFCG? Inquiring minds!!! Can't wait to hear back. I was so deliciously surprised! Especially for the carb count and easy of making them!

      Delete
  4. Hey lady! Sad to say my life has been upside down since my earlier reply. But, I have my husks waiting on my kitchen counter this evening so I can have a "play" and make these. I am sure lots of taco wraps, chicken salad wraps, egg salad wraps, etc., are in my imminent future! I will for sure post how they come out. :) Can't wait to play in the kitchen this evening! You rock susiet! BFCG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweetie! Pobre 'cita! I hate it when the world refuses to cooperate with my schedule! Hope things are better now!!! So make the updated recipe ok? I got 9 out but dropped one on the floor. We each had 2 breakfast tacos with bacon, cheese, salsa and avocado for a rediculous 323 Calories; 21g Fat (58.2% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 231mg Cholesterol; 7g Net Carbohydrate!

      Hugs and xoxo!

      Delete
  5. I ate sushi all weekend, now I'm feeling it's time to move on to Tex-mex.
    Yee Haw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Arlene! You go girl! Tex-Mex calls my name weekly! :D

      Delete
  6. susiet,

    In your 2-8-14 Psylli-wraps updated version above, you listed 1c of egg whites. Did you mean .5c instead?

    I caught this last night as I was making more wraps. Last week when I made them I doubled the updated recipe, using 2c egg whites. I had also used the almond flour instead of the oat fiber so at the time thought that might have made the difference in why things were SOOO liquidy! Then it hit me last night that I bet that egg white amount was supposed to be half a cup instead of a full cup for the amount of dry ingredients listed. Of course, last week, that didn’t register. I just thought the oat fiber made that much difference and I planned to share that the almond flour didn’t work for me! Guess that’s still on the list to try again!!

    Anyway, last week I just added some more psylli and some oat fiber and things worked out - no product was lost!

    Last night I experimented with adding pureed baby corn, jalapeno slices and juices, and cheddar cheese - OMG good! I'm going to try that again and this time write down what I did so I can run numbers. The torts were larruping good!!!

    Hope you are doing well through these weeks.

    Hugs,
    Alice B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice, thanks for your question! I really do mean 1c. It thicken as it sits. I actually add an additional 1/4 cup in the last 3-4 wraps. I like the batter to be very thin, like very pourable crepe batter.

      A couple of things could be happening with your batter if you are subbing almond flour: first, almond flour doesn't swell and thicken like the combination of coconut flour and oat fiber does, especially when mixed with psyllium. The other thing that may have happened is that the recipe simply doesn't double well. I have never tried doubling the recipe because I prefer to make a second brand new batch. I think it's easier to work with the less time it sits in the bowl and congeals.

      One of the best tips for this super flexible recipe is to simply add egg whites until you're satisfied with the consistency. I loved the idea of having a much lower cal/carb tortilla (even if it isn't as "bready feeling." But others might prefer thicker tortillas.

      Hope that helps! Wish I could help with the almond flour situation. But since I can't have almonds, it's hard to know how that sub affects things. But the almond flour sounds fun!

      xoxo!

      Delete
    2. the almond flour worked great for me... but I think I also had a little thicker wrap as mine only made 2. I used the reconstituted egg whites..had a little left over that helped thin the last one. Didn't have to waste any eggs.

      Delete
    3. CMC thanks so much for your feedback! I do want to encourage everyone to release their inner intuitive cook! :D There are so many variables when "baking". Humidity, altitude, which product you are using all influence how thick your batter will be.

      So the main takeaway is that you want your batter to appear "impossibly thin" - like...when you look at it you say to yourself, "This can't possibly end well."

      So if your batter feels thick in the bowl, it's going to be too thick in the pan. The easy solution for this is simple. Just start adding more egg whites to it. Don't worry about ratios, adding more spices or baking powder, just thin the batter with more egg whites (never water or oil). Thin it until it's a thin crepe batter that moves easily in your mixing bowl.

      Then ladle up 2 tablespoons (I use a soup spoon from my flatware.) into a small container or cup. Dump that into the olive oil sprayed nonstick, preheated pan and swirl. Immediately swirl! Cuz tht batter will set in a heartbeat and you want a thin coating over the bottom of the pan. Swirl until it's all set. If you have a hole in it or it's too irregular, quickly drizzle in a tiny bit more batter.

      And cook until it's no longer wet, flipping and flipping and flipping like you would a real tortilla. The outside will no longer feel moist. I usually make all the tortillas up quickly. They'll still feel wet and super-spongy/stretchable. I want to get them made before the batter sets up too much. Then I go back once they are all made, and cook them off to dry them out and get the brown tortilla spots on them. Then they're done and ready to enjoy for the week! :D

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her's my problem: recently diagnosed with egg white allergy!(OMG). Can I sub chia gel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! That sucks for you! ((hugs)). I would DEFINITELY try chea gel. It should work theoretically! Or I might also add a bit of ground chia too. Let me know how it worked, please!

      Delete
  9. I tried to make the psylli wraps tonight. Mine came out very thick and eggy. Not pretty and delicate like yours. I didn't have oat flour so I subbed almond flour and I used a a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Regardless I'm pretty sure it's user error related; any time I've attempted a low carb wrap recipe my results have been...questionable. lol. I'll try again with oat flour. I now have eggy taco pancakes. Haha. Delicious, but not quite what I was going intending for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, sorry you experienced problems. :(

      So two comments that may help your next experience:

      1. A nonstick pan is non-negotiable in my opinion. I heart cast iron. But it has no place in this recipe.

      2. If you are going to make my tweak, it really works best to use the oat fiber or VERY finely ground gluten free oat bran or rolled oats. Otherwise it's best to make the original recipe.

      3. The "batter" for lack of a better term must look "impossibly thin" almost like thin, semi-clear crepe batter. You must be able to put your quantity (I measure 2 tbsp into a little cup for each tortilla) into the center of a pan and immediately swirl it around like a crepe to coat the bottom of the pan. Thinner is better and as the batter sits, it thickens. When that happens, thin with another "glug" or 2-3 tbsp of egg whites (I use carton egg whites).

      4. Cook them beyond what you "think" they need. They may look opaque and done. But they need to be flipped and cooked until you see some brown tortilla spots and the outsides get a little dried out. Otherwise it's like eating a fried egg white patty (in my opinion).

      5. Do not use whole eggs. The end. Whole egg = eggy. If you are one of the super-tasters that perceive egg whites as eggy, then you need to add more seasoning. Half the time I forget to add the garlic and onion powders. But, I do prefer them when I remember to tump them in.

      Hope these tips help you experience a better wrap next time. Remember the first rule of psylli wraps! NONSTICK pans are non-negotiable and actually the small egg pan is the right size - easiest size. I think it's like either a 6 or 8 inch pan? Can't remember.

      Delete
    2. Aw, thank you! I'm at my bf's house so used what I had available, but as soon as I'm back in my abode I'll try it again. I have oat flour at home and a great non-stick egg pan, which I think will be perfection for this recipe. I definitely think my mishaps tonight were mostly due to the HUGE cast-iron skillet. It's a whopper of a pan that seems more like medieval weaponry. I could take some robbers out easily with that beast.

      I used the carton egg whites, so my egginess must have been due to the batter being under seasoned. I measured out 3 tbsp and poured it into my pan, but to no avail.

      I think your tips will prove to be the adjustments I need to make once I can attempt these again. I'll let you know how it turns out. Despite tonight's lack of torilla-ness, my taco seasoned pancake tastes pretty good. Nice and crispy just a little "fluffly". Haha.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mandy, I'd love to know how they turned out the second time around!

      Delete
  10. Hi Susie,
    Can these be frozen successfully or how long will they keep in the frig? And how do you reheat?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I've never frozen them because they don't stay around that long! ;) But I don't see any reason why they won't freeze.

      I keep them in the fridge up to a week (but again, they never last longer than 5 days around here...we're Tex-Mex "Hoes and Rakes." lol )

      I reheat them on a plate with my fillings in them and nuke for 45secs to 1 min. I also use them chilled to make enchiladas then bake the enchilada dish until everything is piping hot. I've also used these for lasagna noodle replacements. :D

      Delete
  11. We had them as breakfast taco tortillas this morning... but then I melted some shredded cheddar in a skillet and nestles a "silly wrap" into the cheese. I sprinkled the top with cheese too. I cooked the bottom until it was golden and crunch, flipped and cooked the other side until it was golden and crunchy too and it was awesome as cheese bread- and I suspect they'd make awesome easy skillet pizzas too will a crunchy cheddar bottom stuck to a thickish wrap, topped with a bit of pizza sauce and some mozzarella or provolone melted on top of that with some italian sausage and black olives... :D -Jen H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen!!! WELCOME! I'm so excited to see you made it over the Fluffy Chix Archive Blog! (Please come visit on the new blog!? fluffychix(dot)com. Replace the (dot) with a . ok?

      They sound heavenly! So one thing to know, you can use my updated versions (either one) and nuke each psylli wrap for about 40-45 seconds or so on a paper towel or parchment paper. They get super crips, crunch, and golden. Then break them up and use as tortilla chips. It's better to nuke first, then break, because there is shrinkage and it's less when the tortilla is whole rather than in chips.

      I love your idea of the cheesy pizza shells and loved your take on quesadilla-type tostadas. Breakfast sounded heavnly!!! MUAH. xoxo Susie T.

      Delete
  12. What is the reason the psyllium husk powder cannot be used? (It's what I have available in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Comments keep us going! Leave your thoughts, please? XOXO!