Monday, April 16, 2012

Day1 - April 16 - 2 Week Atkins Induction

Are you ready? Surprise!

For the next two weeks, this Fluffy Chix will be following Atkin’s Induction – stringently. No on-the-fly aberrations, no in flagrante cheatorums, no creative ad libs, no shades of grey or whiter shades of pale – just good old, by-the-book Atkins Induction as the good doctor invented it!

Here are the rules -

1. Follow the Atkin’s Plan as per The New Atkins for a New You by Jeff Volek, Stephen D. Phinney and Dr. Eric C. Westman, based on the ground breaking work by Dr. Robert C. Atkins.

2. Sign up at the Atkin’s Website to follow the plan online and take advantage of all the encouragement and tools set-up to make my two weeks as comfy as possible! Post at LCF with progress updates.

3. Eat when hungry and only to satiety. (My own rule: No Eating Between Meals!)

4. Blog daily with Fitday documentation and photos of all meals. Eat as many veggies and as much fiber as I’m allotted within my 20net carb per day limit. Include self-evaluations about pain levels, inflammation levels, blood sugars (pre-diabetic), emotional connections, physical feedback about how I’m feelin’, and weigh daily.

5. Include any interesting information that may help fellow Inductioneers increase their enjoyment or comfort level following Atkin’s Induction, including posting any delicious recipes I develop or come across online.

6. Host a contest for all Fluffy Chix Blog Followers to include a give-away at the end of the 2 Week Induction Period. The give-away item has not been finalized yet. But to be eligible, you must sign up to follow the Fluffy Chix Cook blog or already follow the blog. The winner(s) will be chosen randomly by stuffing my fluffy little wing in a bag and pulling out the name of the winner(s). The winner will be notified here on the Fluffy Chix Cook Blog!

Sooooo now for the good stuff!

Day 1 – April 16, 2012 – SusieT Report
Weight –
65inches Tall; 236lbs (Pre-poopy) – Severely Overweight Category
Measurements – 42 – 39 – 49
Pain – 6
Mood – 9
Fasting Blood Glucose - 109
Goal – 150lbs (or bust)
Daily Goal – 20g Net Carbs or Less/Daily, Walk 30 Minutes/Daily


SusieT Commentary -
I wanted to go through a true by-the-book Atkin’s Induction because it’s been awhile since doing that and I just feel the need to get clean and into ketosis. For 12 years, low carb defined how I ate. I’ve lost a total of 78lbs as of this morning and have over 80lbs left to go.


Since the end of breast cancer treatment this year and starting a couple of drugs that make weight loss difficult (Femara, 2 kinds of Inhaled Steroids, Cozaar plus others), I’ve been stuck within a 4 pound window either side of 232 lbs. I’ve been fluctuating between 228lbs and 236lbs. Today my weight is up to the upper end and I reached a line in the sand. Enough! It’s time to get serious.

I have a short term idea of a goal. I say that because the reality is, I will lose as fast as I lose. My body will direct the rate of loss and I will be patient and satisfied – not trying to do anything crazy here. You will hear no, “Hey y’all watch this!”

Next month will be a sixth month check-up with the oncologist, sometime around May 22nd-ish. At that time, I would like to be down closer to the goal he set for me, which is about 220lbs (about a 4lb/month rate of loss since diagnosis). I figure no way will I be able to get down to 220lbs by next month, I’m a turtle. I lose SOOOOOO SLOWLY, watching moss grow is quicker and more exciting. But hey, it’s a goal, right?

Each day I will start a new post for the day. Within that post you will see the SusieT Poopy Report and daily weight, etc. and you will see menus posted in Fitday along with photos of the meals. I remember the first time I did an Atkin’s Induction – it was full of lions and tigers and bears. Oh my! So many questions and uncertainties, stress and angst. Was I doing it correctly?! Did I get enough carbs for the day or go over my allotment? Maybe pictures and menus will help you guys?

Well after twelve years, the stress of carb counting is non-existent. I’m an old pro. Maybe following along will help some of you? I invite you to take the 2 Week Atkin’s Induction Challenge with me! Go on over to Atkins and sign up for your free account and work your program online using some of the tools. Or go over to LCF and sign up for your free account and follow along with me in my LCF Induction Thread. Or follow here on the blog! Be sure to leave comments and questions too!

Hey, don’t forget to sign up as a Fluffy Chix Blog Follower on the right hand side over there >>! At the end of the two weeks Induction Period, I will have a give-away for some lucky person(s)!

Well here we go!

Day 1 – April 16

Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms, Grape Tomatoes, Thyme
and Olive Oil
Breakfast
3 Eggs, medium
1c Mushrooms (3 large)
4 Grape Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 pinch Thyme Leaves, dried
Salt, Pepper, to taste








(Hint - Click on the images to see them close-up!)

Day 1 Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Mushrooms with
Grape Tomatoes, Thyme and Olive Oil. Serving them on
a saucer helps fool the eye into thinking you are eating more!



My favorite way with leftover anything! Make soup!
Quick & Easy Asian Pork, Egg, Cabbage & Mushroom Soup.
Lunch
2 servings Asian Pork, Egg, Cabbage, Mushroom Soup



(Note: This is my favorite way to use up leftover meats and pan drippings. It took only 20 minutes to make including passive cooking time but tasted like it had cooked all day! Good tasting and good for you!

Flavor it any way you crave. Today I was jonesing for Asian Pho!)



Recipe – Asian Pork, Egg, Cabbage, Mushroom Soup
Serves 4-6
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
Difficulty – Easy

Ingredients
2 c Meat Broth from Pork Roast
4 c Low Sodium Organic Chicken Broth
3 med Eggs
6 oz Pork Tenderloin or Loin, leftover
3 med Eggs, whole or 2 large
8 oz Green Cabbage, sliced into ribbons
3 oz Mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp Ginger Root, grated
1 tsp Sambal Oelek or other Chili-Garlic Paste
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce
1 lg Green Onion
1 tbsp Mint Leaves, fresh
1 tbsp Cilantro Leaves, fresh

Directions
Combine broths in medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add grated ginger, mushrooms, cabbage, coconut aminos, sambal oelek, and half of the green onion.

Simmer until cabbage is al dente.

Just prior to serving beat eggs to scramble and pour into soup. Cook for 1 minute without stirring.

Add thinly sliced leftover meat.

Garnish with chopped green onion, fresh mint and cilantro.

It is sooo TLF (To Live For!) and makes great use of leftover pan drippings and meat!

Dinner

The Kitchen Sink - Half Order from Beck's Prime
makes an Inductioneer's life easy!
 1/2 Kitchen Sink, Beck's Prime with extra Romaine

(Note: I shared a scoop of my guacamole and a few of the sauteed onions with Denny, cuz I'm just that kind of girl! We had an "outting" tonight on account of Denny needed sustenance after taxes and all I could suggest was eggs. Worked like a charm. Imagine that!? Of course that is our food budget for eating out for the month already blown and there's a lot of month left to go after tonight. Maybe I wasn't thinking clearly?)



I must confess to eating the entire meal after sharing the bits I mentioned above with Denny. I would also like to note for the record, I don't feel repentant, nor stuffed, nor uncomfortable. OK, maybe a bit embarrassed...maybe. OK, not really.






Click to enlarge image.

Here's the running total for today. It's still a little light on calories despite the humongous dinner that could feed a small third world nation, but I'm not too worried about it for now!

4 comments:

  1. Good start of your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kent! So awesome to see you here! Thanks for following the blog now and giving encouragement. You know, it's all your "fault" don't you? LOL. I saw your fantastic before and current piccys on your anniversary post and you inspired me to become an Inductioneer! :) Yay you!

    Everyone, Kent has an awesome blog called the Atkins Diet Geek. I don't want to type a link in here cuz I don't want spiders to crawl along and start spamming the bejeezes outta yas! So google him or else you can get his link on my Cool Sites page!

    Thanks for the inspiration and congrats again for all the fantastic work you do to promote a healthy lifestyle. Kent has awesome UTube vids on how to cook low carb and is also one of the author's in Among Friends - the latest cookbook by Jennifer Eloff et al! You can also get her site on my Cool Sites page too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received a copy of Atkins For Life from off paperbackswap because I have been stalled for the past several months and thought I need to jumpstart weightloss again. It's always a little easier to journey along with others, love the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, so glad you decided to go back to the book instead of getting depressed and going off plan! WTG!

      Jump on board with us and become an Inductioneer! The more the merrier!!! :hugs: and great idea to get the books from paperbackswap!!

      Delete

Hey guys! Comments keep us going! Leave your thoughts, please? XOXO!