Friday, January 3, 2014

Egg Skillets - BRINNER Is An Atkins-neer's Best Friend


Here is a recipe (a non-recipe, really) near and dear to my heart. On days when I just don't feel like cooking or have a lot going on, simplicity is the name of the game and getting food on the table in the quickest amount of time is the object. Those are the days I adore BRINNER (Breakfast as Dinner).

BRINNER has a passle of star qualities going for it.

1. Cheap
2. Quick & Flexible Ingredients
3. Filling
4. Nutritious
5. Delicious and Satisfying

If you enjoy low carbohydrate nutrition, it's almost impossible to discount the effectiveness of egg protein. Each large egg packs a wallop of nutrition and 6-7g of great quality protein for about $0.16-$0.33 apiece. Laura Dolson from About.com educates us about the incredible, edible egg.

Eat those yolks! Even on Fast Days (FDs), I will make sure to eat at least one whole egg when combining it with egg whites to up protein and lower calories. (And if you really want to be a nutritional purist about, it, it's probably best that you don't hard-cook that egg yolk, but then you couldn't enjoy scrambled eggs in an egg skillet, could you? So when I make my gorgeous egg skillets, I simply close my eyes, click my heels and pretend I'm in Kansas!)

Egg Skillets make convenient BRINNER!
Since I was only eating the one meal today (remember, I fast every other day), I don't have any problem consuming up to 20g Net Carbohydrates in one meal as long as they come predominantly from low carb veggies with lots of soluble and insoluble fiber. In checking my blood sugar after eating, I do just fine enjoying this meal without a big post-meal blood sugar and insulin spike.

Since most of you won’t be fasting while enjoying this meal, it’s easy to adjust your veggie quantities accordingly. Cut back on the amounts and reduce the net carbs significantly. Then, spread those carbs out between other meals. NAME (New Atkins Made Easy), by Colette Heimowitz, suggests consuming at least 12-15g net carbs from foundation vegetables within the daily 20g net carb budget (which this egg skillet is chock-full of). If you’re eating other meals during the day (as you should during Atkins Induction—never go more than 4-6 hours between meals during the early days of keto-adaption), you can also cut back on the amount of protein used in the recipe or split the recipe into 2 servings. Also, feel free to add more fat by increasing the olive oil.

Enjoy! Day 3 of Atkins Induction will see me back to eating multiple meals.

Happy Atkins-neering!

Day 2 Atkins Induction

Day2 Daily Total: 519 Calories; 26g Fat (45.3% calories from fat); 43g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 456mg Cholesterol; 19g Net Carbohydrate

Breakfast & Lunch (0)
4 cups Decaffeinated Coffee, black, unsweetened
Water

Dinner (519 Calories; 26g Fat (45.3% calories from fat); 43g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 456mg Cholesterol; 19g Net Carbohydrate)
1 serving Egg Skillet with Spinach, Tomatoes and Mushrooms
½ Tomato, sliced
¼ Avocado, sliced
1 cup Decaffeinated Coffee, black, unsweetened

NOTES: Very little, if any, hunger throughout the day. Easily sailed through with one large meal for the day (but again, remember, I have found what works for me as an individual--alternate day fasting isn't part of normal Atkins Induction).

2 comments:

  1. I very much appreciate this information, Susie. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it and share it with us.

    Happy New Year!!

    Alice B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice and Happy New Year to you, sweetie! Thanks for sticking with me over the years!! xoxo

      Delete

Hey guys! Comments keep us going! Leave your thoughts, please? XOXO!