Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I Have a Dream (aka A Low Carb Dumpling In Every Pot)

Low carb chicken and dumplings the stuff diet freedom
and dream are made of...
Psylli Susie T. of Fluffy Chix Cook, has a dream. A dream of which she is certain, Dr. King would approve. A dream of health and low carb freedom. and paleo-prosperity for all Americans, no, the entire world. Join her as she discusses why a low carb dumpling in every pot, or a pot of low carb chicken and dumplings in every kitchen could end world domination of evil food giants threatening and enslaving all of humanity.


I Have a Dream


I am thrilled to join with each of you today in what will go down in low carb history as the greatest demonstration for low carb freedom in the history of our low carb community.

14 years of low carb, I’ve lived a dream.

I have a dream that one day our great low carb community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed and kind. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all carbs are NOT created equal!”

I have a dream that one day on the salt flats of the mighty Gulf Coast and beyond, the sons and daughters of former carb-enslaved brethren will be able to sit down together with their enslavers and show them the true science documentation behind the paleo-primal-keto-low carb movement and they will respond to reason and see the light!

I have a dream that one day, even the deep South, a place sweltering and suffocating in diseases of metabolism created by the food-giants that fight to keep us addicted and enslaved and dying from  diabetes, kidney failure, blindness, and poverty—mired in the heat of carb oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom, health, and prosperity.

I have a dream that our “5 boys”: Tony, Buddy, Kevin, Schylling, and Zippy, their toy dog, WeeWee, Wee Wee’s baby, Skeeter and Stretch their giraffe; will one day live in a great low carb nation where they will not be judged by the girth of their waist or hips, but by the content of their dinner plate and the content of their caring and character.





The Boys protesting the evil food giants. (Click to Enlarge)



I have a dream, TODAY!

Live that dream!

The time is now.

The day is here.


Low Carb Chicken And Dumplings - Free at Last!
 And thanks to my friend Peggy aka Buttoni of Buttoni’s Low Carb Recipes, an incredible blog filled with low carb delicacies from every culture—a true homage to diversity, flavor and taste! My dream of low carb health and prosperity for all, is one step closer in being realized. Due directly to her culinary genious and tenacity, combined with the awesome chefs and cooks at LCF (Low Carb Friends), the mighty low carb dumpling has been given birth and life! Peggy’s Chicken and Dumplings are mighty in power, and tasty on the tongue—and won’t leave you weighted down with the burden of sky-high blood sugars and insulin spikes, nor lead to limb amputations or blindness. No! Peggy comes bearing freedom!

It is no secret the race for the dumpling was long, illustrious, populated by the best low carb cooks in the nation and riddled with catastrophe and defeat. But thanks to Peggy and the LCF clan, we ARE success. Well, except I can’t claim any of that success. I was part of the private dumpling wars that included using pieces of Revolutionary Rolls and low carb tortillas, pure glucomannan cooked in oil and Ranch dressing and chicken broth, and other notable  and equally epic fails.


This past week, I have wallowed.

Yes, you heard me.

Wallowed.

I wallowed in chicken and dumplings 5 out of 7 days during the past week. I ate them as Peggy created them. I ate them as tweaks from her original recipe. I ate them with my tweaks. And last night, I believe the tweak has scored big! Freedom from high carbage dumpling oppression is realized!

I took Peggy’s original recipe from LCF, combined it with Janknitz sub of psyllium husks for oat fiber and the love child brought forth in reply—screamed victory at the top of its mighty little lungs! The future is yours. The only thing left now is for you to try it! Make your own tweaks. Record them for posterity and spread the word, so that we may all know freedom and health.

I bid you peace.

I exhort you to dream.

Dream big.

Shoot for the stars or at least…

A low carb dumpling in every pot!



Low Carb Dumplings - Susie's Tweaks


Recipe By: Susie T. Gibbs
Serving Size: 3-4 Dumplings     Yield:  10-14 Dumplings
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 8-12 Minutes
Start to Finish: 13-17 Minutes


These are a great drop or rolled dumpling. You won't believe they aren't high carb or filled with guilt! They reheat well and freeze great. And they can morph into sweet dessert dumplings too! Use your favorite spices to jazz them up!


Low Carb Dumplings - keto freedom.
Dry Ingredients

Wet Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 jumbo egg

  1. Mix dry ingredient. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Sprinkle dry ingredients into wet, stirring quickly without stopping. Stir until smooth and thickened to the point of being able to roll gently between your palms. Don't overwork. Roll all the dumplings.
  2. Drop into simmering liquid. Cover and cook 10 - 12 minutes without disturbing them or removing the lid. When the time is up, test for doneness. Add any veggies or protein desired. Use as matzo balls or use as dumplings for chicken and dumplings.
  3. (Optional Rolled Variation: Spread dumpling dough onto a piece of plastic wrap taped to the kitchen counter. Flatten into a square with your hand. Top with a second sheet of plastic and gently roll dumplings about 1/8-3/16 inch thick. Peel off top layer of plastic and use a pizza cutter to cut into 12-16 squares. Remove tape and transfer plastic wrap to pan. Tump the plastic sheet of dumplings over into the simmering stock. Keep the plastic out of it. But each of the dumplings should separate and float to the top. If any are stuck together, gently pry them loose. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes as above.)

NOTES: Can we talk a moment? These dumplings are divine and represent the low carb holy grail of break-substitutes. But all joking aside: you will be tempted by gluttony to eat the entire batch by virtue of their low carb count and because they taste fan-freakin' tastic. But don't do it. Remember that both glucomannan and psyllium are soluble fibers and swell with the addition of water/liquid (as much as 10x or more). The most we eat is 4 dumplings per sitting. We're stuffed after a big bowl of broth, chicken, veggies and 3-4 dumplings. And we get stufter (aka more stuffed) after about 15 minutes. So when tempted by seconds-ies, wait 20 minutes, then decide!

Don't forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day--a healthy habit to begin with--but especially when consuming anything made with glucomannan, oat fiber, coconut flour, psyllium husks, etc. If your bowel habits change, be on the look out and be prepared to grab MOM (Milk of Magnesia) to help things along, then tailor your ingestion of fibers to your bowel needs. It's rare, but there are reported cases of bowel obstruction when these fibers are consumed in excess. So eat responsibly. (End of lecture--now let's eat!)

Serving Ideas: Serve with creamy broth and chicken or with clear broth to make matzo balls!

Nutritional Information:

Per Dumpling (10 Dumplings): 9 Calories; 1g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3.4g Carbohydrate; 3.0g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 0.4g Net Carbohydrate

Per Dumpling (12 Dumplings): 8 Calories; trace Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2.83g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 0.33g Net Carbohydrate

Per Dumpling (14 Dumplings): 7 Calories; trace Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2.43g Carbohydrate; 2.14g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 0.3g Net Carbohydrate

Copyright © 2014 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I hope you like ! Start with Peggy's basic recipe first and go from there!!

      Delete
  2. O M G ! ! ! !

    W O W ! ! ! !

    You ladies simply amaze me all.the.time!!!

    The dumplings look fantastic and I can't wait to try them. THANK YOU!!

    (How did you make the broth/gravy that the dumplings in your photos are resting in? It looks delish too!)

    Hugs,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I know you've waited a long time for low carb chick and dumplings! Peggy's recipe is dynomite! I will do the liquid part hopefully in the next post.

      Delete
  3. OMG, Susie, your write-up made me smile from ear to ear. You have such a flair for writing. I'm so GLAD you like these dumpling! So simple yet so good! I MUST try Jan's psyllium in my next batch. I'm sure that will bring much to flavor and texture. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you approve and were entertained! Thank you SO much for sharing your wonderful creativity with all of us. You're dumpling recipe is really ground-breaking hon!!

      I will look forward to your experiments with the psyllium!!!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I want the whole dish of stuff right now (but I'll be a good girl and wait). Point me in the direction of the gravy recipe, please (Since dumplins are nothing without the wet stuff!).

    Now, off to google what the heck those ingredients are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita! Thanks for posting. I was like that too. Thinking, "Oh holy moly! I will not have portion control on this one!" But the dumplings are sooooo filling and I think they may swell in our tummy! I can only eat 3-4 at one sitting! Max! And before getting seconds, I wait 20 minutes. Sure enough, by the time 20 minutes is gone, they've expanded and I'm stuffed--pleasantly, but tummy is distended and there's no more room. Denny can't even eat more than 4 (yield of 14 total dumplings).

      Also, I'm working on the sauce recipe now! :D

      Delete
  5. Glocom- WHAT? I'm a glutten free virgin, all this ingredinets sound like chemicals... psyllium husk - wait is that the same psyllium I feed the horses to lift ingested sand from their gut? Oat fiber - like oatmeal? goofy ben franklin on the round quaker box? oat fiber.... mmmm, I think this will be beyond me... the last 5 ingredints I've actually used (ok). Where would I get this stuff? TJ's for the psyllium stuff. one is whole? the other powder? need both kinds... mmmm crud this is confusing. (and my mom was a Home Ec teacher!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth and welcome to your first time on FCC. These low carb dumplings do resemble a bit of a science experiment. It features different combination of most soluble fibers that provide bulk and texture with few if any calories. In combination they provide different elements normally found in gluten-rich all-purpose flour. And certainly they aren't everyone's cup-of-tea. The first ingredients listed in my recipes are the preferred product. The other ingredients behind the first ingredient in a row are mere approximations and based on reports from other people who tweak low carb recipes. I prefer oat fiber but it is not certified gluten free. One fellow low carb subbed out psyllium husks successfully in her recipe but you will have to play with the recipe. You can find oat fiber online. Click on the links in my recipes and it takes you to my Amazon partner where you can buy it. They are my preferred ingredients for this given recipe. But it sounds like you might do better simply avoiding this recipe. We have tons of whole foods recipes on our site that don't require science degrees. Although, I will tell you. If we're talking bread-like product, they all have a blend of coconut flour, oat fiber/gluten-free oat bran, and such. I'm allergic to almonds, so am unable to create recipes that use them. Cheers.

      Delete
  6. I am bookmarking this and just ordered the oat fiber from netrition, I searched high and low for it everywhere over here and it is just NOT available. The shipping is steep but I think it might be worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would xanthum gum work in place of the glucomannan? And if so, would I need as much?

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Comments keep us going! Leave your thoughts, please? XOXO!